Is your home warmer than it should be even with the air conditioner running? It could be due to low freon or an AC refrigerant leak. If you suspect you have a leak you need a professional to inspect and repair it. Call StoneBridge Heating & Air Conditioning for appointments in Tyler, TX. We offer 24-hour services.
When your AC system malfunctions, get it repaired quickly. Learn about our air conditioning repair services in Tyler.
Signs You Have a Refrigerant Leak
You need the right amount of refrigerant in your AC system to properly cool your house. A leak can put a strain on your unit, as the copper refrigeration lines must work harder to cool the air that passes through your system.
If you notice the following symptoms you should have a professional inspect your unit to determine if you have a leak:
- Loss of cooling power: Your system must work harder to cool your property as the refrigerant levels drop. If you notice a gradual change in the temperature in your home, it can signal a leak.
- Formation of ice or frost: If you notice ice or frost around the evaporator coil it can be a symptom of a leak. As refrigerant leaks out of your system and the charge drops too low, it can prevent the evaporator coil from absorbing heat to warm the cold refrigerant, leading to frost and ice.
- Hissing sounds: If you hear a hissing sound coming from your unit, it can signal a leak. Even a small, pin-needle-sized leak can cause a hissing sound.
Why Professionals Need To Handle Refrigerant Leaks
If you suspect you have a refrigerant leak, call a professional to inspect and repair the issue. You need an AC contractor to handle the leak to ensure:
- The leak is located and sealed.
- The substance is handled safely, as it can be dangerous to those who come into contact with it.
- The correct type of refrigerant is used to recharge your AC unit.
- The lines are filled with the correct amount.
Is it finally time to replace your aging cooling system? Call us for air conditioning installation services in Tyler.
Main Causes of Refrigerant Leaks
Refrigerant leaks can be common problems with air conditioning units. Some potential causes of the leaks can include:
- The formation of formic acid. This can come from the copper lines used to protect the lines.
- Vibrations in the air conditioning system.
- Weakening joints or connections.
To prevent these leaks you should have your AC unit professionally maintained and cleaned at least once a year. Call StoneBridge Heating & Air Conditioning for services in Tyler.